Saturday, February 20, 2016

My Unfamiliar Genre Project - Beginnings

The nature of the Unfamilar Genre Project is to try out and expereince a genre that you've never been a part of before, or even never successfully conquered. Facing those genres that make you nervous is a great idea to help you improve and grow as a writer -- because fear has no place in the life of a writer. Creativity, perseverance, an open mind? Yes. Fear that it "won't be good enough" or nervousness that you "won't be able to do it"? No. 

For my Unfamilar Genre Project, I want to try an tackle a style of writing that I have struggled with in the past: fiction/short stories. In the past, when I have tried to sit down and write my own short story, my thought process would come to a screeching halt because I would realize that I was unintentionally & subconsciously mimicking stories I had read in the past. Whether it be a slight representation with small similarities to some of my favorite novels or a combination of a few, I would get frustrated that my mind "couldn't come up with anything fully & purely unique" and I would stop. 

I have decided that it is time to conquer this relationship I have with fiction built out of frustration and fear. It's been a long time knowing ya, but I think it's time to cut ties -- I have bigger and better things to move on to, like fearless fiction. 

My Unfamiliar Genre Project will be unique, it will be pure, and it will be my own. I want to write a fiction story about either of the following. . . A) the life & times of a sixth grade classroom from the perspective of a fairly new teacher  -or-  B) the perspective of a sixth grade student dealing with and trying to conquer middle school for the first time.  I think either of these ideas will help me with my creative process, and will help me develop more experience writing fiction.  

I have massive amount of motivation to improve my fiction writing skills, I have always wanted to be able to write my own book someday -- I just never thought it could become reality until now. Starting with this project, and taking baby steps towards my goal will help me become successful and tackle this fear. 

I'm ready for you, unfamiliar genre. Let's do this!

5 comments:

  1. I love both of the these ideas! Good luck figuring out which one to choose. I'll be curious to see if writing fiction will give you special insight into the perspectives of student or teacher in a way that writing in a nonfiction or more academic genre wouldn't. This should be fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, fiction is scary. But it's also limitless. You got this!! It will be unique and it will be your own. I can't wait to read your writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of your potential ideas! I think it would be cool to explore the perspective of a sixth grader, because we spend a lot of time in the mindset of "new teachers" and what that all will be like, but considerably less time thinking about what our classroom will be like from the perspective of our students. I'm so glad you've decided to tackle this task of writing fiction, and I can;t wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your attitude about tackling this! And I LOVE the idea of using short fiction to convey your beliefs about education. Both of those ideas sounds awesome! I even think it'd be cool if you did both and combined/compared the perspectives and point of views! I also like that you're using this project to conquer that fear of the genre. I know how frustrating it is not feeling as though your ideas are unique, but I also know that you'll always be your own worst critique! I'm excited for you to put yourself out there again and create something awesome!

    ReplyDelete