Saturday, April 16, 2016

Becoming an Ally for ELL Students

ELL learners have a special place in my heart because I have personally worked with so many during my time this semester at Lesher Middle School. Recently, we watched a powerful video on how they frequently can only understand a few sporadic words per sentence. They are just as smart as any other student - they just simply cannot understand the language they are being taught in. How are they ever supposed to improve if we as teachers do not take them under our wing? The following is a combination of my sources I have found, and my top takeaways after reading them.

While researching different ways to support ELL learners, I came across quite a few helpful sources. This first one was nice and organized in a list, with creative ideas. 

All twelve of these tips are super helpful, and able to be integrated into many different aspects of the classroom. I think that is the most important part - integrating ELL learning into all different corners of the classroom, to ensure you aren't letting any certain subject take precedent over another. 

I also found a testimony from a local teacher in Denver, who works mainly with ELL students.  

What I found most interesting about her technique was the steady use of activating prior knowledge. Prior knowledge is so very important, especially for ELL students. If you can give them some common ground to grab onto while trying to learn this new language, it will make their understanding so much easier. She also uses scaffolding, which goes along with activating prior knowledge, it basically means building upon that bank of prior knowledge. By using scaffolding, you are ensuring that no gaps between understanding are created. Being a thoughtful ally to all ELL students that are learning not only a brand new language but a new way of learning is our responsibility as true educators.  

No comments:

Post a Comment