Thursday, April 14, 2016

Morning Pages 4.14.16

I think the Privledge Walk is a very eye opening exercise and experience, but as for using it in the classroom I think it would depend on the different demographics of students in my room.  For example, I think the age factor would come into play for me as a teacher, because although it is a great eye-opening concept, it can only be fully understood with certain kinds of thinking. It is a heavy concept, and I would hate to spring it on a class full of students who weren't mentally ready. It may create less conflict between students, or it may create more - I think it is a powerful tool that needs to be used carefully and thoughtfully. If a class is too young, I feel like this exercise may make the more privileged students who end up in the front feel guilty, or bad - which is not the intent. The intent is simply perspective, but as an educator, we need to make sure that our students fully understand that before tackling this exercise. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it's hugely important for you to know about your kids and the particular context where you're teaching before you try an exercise like this in your classroom. Since it is important to tackle the issue of privilege with students, however, are there other activities you would feel more comfortable using?

    ReplyDelete