Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Letter to an Ally Teacher. . .

Dear Ms. Zale,

You have impacted my life more than you know, ever since I walked into your first period photography class in 7th grade. Thank you for noticing that I was quiet, and different than the other kids. Every time you came over to my desk and whispered encouraging comments about my work, you inspired me to keep going. Thank you for always asking me about the place I missed more than anything - Oregon. Moving states right before you start 7th grade is hard! You made (at least that one class) so much more bearable.

As I transitioned into high school, I'm so glad I got to have you for a few more art classes! Your sarcastic humor with the class but friendly chat with me, made me feel so special - like I was your favorite, although technically I knew you weren't allowed to have any. And since you used to live in Oregon too, I felt like we always had something special & unique for just us to talk about.

When I was a senior & I took A.P. Art with you during the last period of every day, I was always so happy to get to your classroom and relax! Especially that year, I felt like we were friends more than teacher and student, because our class was so small we had so much time to talk. You were always 100% honest with me about how life as a teacher would be if I decided to continue to pursue this career choice, and for that I thank you as well. On a more funny note, that time you told me the story behind the star tattoo you have on your foot made me feel like you truly did enjoy spending time with me.

Thank you for always making me feel special, and know that just because I was quiet didn't mean I wasn't worth something. You always encouraged me to be real, never let anyone tell me what to do, and work hard at the things I truly cared about. Thank you for setting a true example for me of what a teacher as an ally looks like.

Because of this example, I know exactly how I want to treat my own students someday - with respect and honesty. I always want to see the worth in the quiet student sitting in the back row, and never overlook anyone's potential.

love always,

Lauren    

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you had someone touch you in the way that she did! I think she absolutely fits your definition of a teacher being a cheerleader. I found myself wishing that I knew this teacher as well! Isn't it amazing how past teachers shape us in ways that they never thought possible? I do not think that our teachers thought they were inspiring future educators who want to mimic them and their teaching technique and styles. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete